27 January 2012

So behind!

I'm tempted to say I've been a bit lazy when it comes to blogging in the last week, but honestly, I don't know where I would have found the time in all the moving commotion.

"But Katie, you're not working, remember? You're some sort of unemployed, living-in-limbo kept woman slash home maker, so maybe you should get your act together and spare a moment to smash out a post, ok?"

Whoa, easy there judge-y.

So what's moving like in London? Well, let me tell you, when you're married to an economist, it's g-r-e-a-t. This is where I would use the sarcasm font or symbol, if the world could actually agree on one. James, in his....wisdom (??) decided it would be best if we did the move from the long-term accommodation flat to the rented flat in trips. By tube. Carrying things. Ugh. Ever the go-with-the-flow wife that I am, I agreed and we schlepped our six suitcases, one guitar and several bags to the flat, via a 30 minute tube ride (plus ten minutes walking). I had the privilege (Oh my god, I just realised I don't know how to spell privilege...Oshawa Catholic School Board, that one is on your head. Just saying.) of making four trips by tube. James joined me for the last two.

On Monday when I received the keys, I actually got to experience a delightful British ritual of the check-in. Our relocation agent and an independent inventory clerk met me at the flat bright and early (I had one suitcase and a bag with me, since we can't possibly waste the potential to move something into the flat). We spent the next two hours looking at every nook and cranny and itemising, in great detail, all the surfaces, furniture, appliances and housewares in the flat. It was interesting to experience and it definitely covers both us and our landlord, but whoa, I wish I'd packed a snack! After the inventory, our relocation agent (who, I must say, was adorable and enthusiastic) walked me all over the new 'hood for two hours, showing me the grocery store, the doctor's office, shops, tube stations and the library. It was a useful experience, but again, I wish I'd packed a snack.

With keys in hand I did another solo trip and then returned to the crap flat to wait for James so we could do the final two trips together. It wasn't pretty, but we go the job done and got to sleep in our new flat a day earlier than expected and, as an added bonus, no one had to cross town to get here in time for the movers with our shipped items! Little did we know our mover would actually be 40 minutes early to unload. Seriously, when have you known a mover to show up so early for a job?? 

James and I have moved house together twice, so we know each others' strengths and weaknesses when it comes to the process. I think it is fair to say that I am, by leaps and bounds, more methodical and have far more exacting standards when it comes to setting up a house. James puts things in cupboards and all over surfaces while I stand by cringing. I prefer to start with a perfect, clean slate. That means all the cupboards, shelves, walls and floors are cleaned before you go tossing things around and putting items away. I see dirt everywhere. I blame my family. Mostly my mother, but my whole family can take credit. We are a family that does things properly and thoroughly. I'm actually surprised when I think about it right now because I can say, with certainty, that all of my family members have very good habits where this is concerned. Must be the Polish influence. I don't think all families are as meticulous, but I don't care to find out...*shudder*

Fast forward to Friday and we're nearly sorted. There are a few things here and there that need attention, but it actually feels like we're living here, not just trying to set up shop. It's a good feeling.

Photos to come.

2 comments:

  1. Now Mrs Rossiter,are you saying it is not the British influence then ? I have Polacks on the other side...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops forgot

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete